Thursday, January 6, 2011

DALGETY STREET




This is my all time favourite part of my grandparents' flat. I always imagine what the flat would look like if i lived in it and one thing i always think of every time I visit is that I am keeping these curtains.

For some reason, I always take photos whenever I visit her house. Not much changes, except for the amount of rubbish that gets piled up in their house. Grandpa's a hoarder and grandma buys so much junk that she doesn't need. I think i've inherited both of these traits. Gramps will litterally be saving cereal boxes which he thinks he can use to help file letters or ice cream tubs which he can use to store and sort his socks. Their house is filled with so much junk, i love it.

I spent the day with grandma opp-shopping around her hometown, St. Kilda. She may not know how to tell the time on an analogue clock or use her myki ticket properly but boy does she know her way down to Prahran and back. She knows exactly where every Salvation army is, we visited three, and she knows all the workers in every second hand shop. It was so cute walking into one:

Grandma: I BROUGHT MY GRAND DAUGHTER :D
Shop keeper: What?! You're too young to have a grand daughter!

Oh, they love her. One Salvos in particular was decorated rather nicely, all 1920's-ish with parasols and old books and records and vintage wallpaper. Even the lady who worked there had the sweetest twenties curled bangs, her hair was adorable. Another shop assistant at the op shop near Acland street had pink hair, she pulled it off really well. It wasn't like an intense dark pink, but more of a powdery light pink.

And as usual on our St. Kilda grandma-grand daughter dates we ended the day with lunch at the McDonalds next to Luna Park. It literally was lunch because I got to her house at seven in the morning and we left her place at nine because most shops opened at ten.

She:
- goes into the shop
- greets the shop assistant
- asks if there's any new jewellery
- offers to buy me a piece of jewellery that I don't really like
- rushes to leave for the next op shop which is two stores down

Seeing grandpa was really good too since i don't get to see much of him. He kept wanting to feed the birds.

Grandpa: Can i feed this to the birds?
Grandma: WHY DO YOU WANT TO FEED THE BIRDS. YOU FEED THEM MORE THAN ME. OH, GEE

-Ten minutes later, grandpa brings out food to feed for the birds-

No comments:

Post a Comment