Thursday, December 15, 2011

CROWN OF LOVE

Photo on 2011-12-16 at 00.45 #2

Photo on 2011-12-16 at 00.40

Photo on 2011-12-16 at 00.47 #2
(I'm sorry that these are such horrible posey webcam photos, but I have zero make up on, have had little sleep and when I do wear these out i will take some outfit photos)

I know that this has the same title of Rookie Mag's floral headpiece DIY page, but I was legit listening to this song while waiting for American Horror Story to load and this is my favourite song of all time and it really is just so fitting, but nonetheless, I do encourage you to watch Rookie Mag's video because it is so fun and pretty and has excellent instructions and Petra does make really beautiful head bands.

On to the crowns! I have been meaning to make some with a friend for the longest time. Lady Petrova stocks really beautiful Lunatic Headbands that stem as my inspiration for my DIY, and if only I had the money I would buy them all, but I don't and it is actually quite fun to make and not hard at all so I thought why not buy some fake flowers and instant glue.

If you watch Rookie's video, they used thick headbands and hot glue guns. I am too lazy to buy any hot glue, and only had super glue around the house, so I figured out a way to sew my flowers onto my head band. Well not so much sew, but to attach them. Using a needle and thread, I kind of hoisted the thread around the flowers and because the headband i bought had those little teeth things that comb through your hair, i used those to keep my flowers in place. I would do a step by step instruction, but it is all just a matter of randomly piercing the flowers and positioning them the way you like. I have a feeling that hot glue would have been easier but a needle and thread works just aswell and gives me more peace of mind that the flowers won't fall off while I am out dancing in a field like I intend to... (no really I now just have to work up the courage and find somewhere to wear my new favourite thing)

Photo on 2011-12-15 at 16.42 #3

Photo on 2011-12-15 at 16.43 #5

So these are the flowers that I picked up at a bargain store. Fake flowers can be bought from anywhere, I know Footscray and Sunshine bargain stores would be overflowing with cheap fake flowers so I would definitely check there for some crown supplies. I wasn't sure about the orange flowers are first but after trimming them down, they worked quite well. It also makes my crown feel a bit more festive for some reason. I haven't used the small flower yet but I am very excited too, they are so adorable. i'm thinking of making some jewellery or sticking them onto some shoes or something, they are so perfect.

A few tips that I found while making my crowns were:
- to use the stem of the flower when attaching the flower to the headband using needle and thread. When you cut up stem part and just the stub is left you'll know what i mean. The ones that i used had little holes which were perfect for placing the needle and thread through.
- even though super glue alone won't stick the flowers to the headband, keep some nearby to help with little touch ups or to help stick some petals together. Once you stick on the flowers you can make judgement as to how you want them to sit or what parts need to be filled up.
- don't disregard the petals and stems from the fake flowers! These can also be used, I was thinking of adding some to mine, but wanted to just keep my first one nice and plain, especially since the orange flowers were so bright already.
- if your flowers are too big, then cut them smaller! I tried it on mine (the orange flowers were so massive and really off putting when I tried mine on) but after quickly cutting the petals shorter, it looked more balanced and all over better on my head.

57305_1589124301854_1648235295_1334571_179183_o

I was going to make a little collage to go along with this post but it is nearly 2 am so instead here is a photo of Isabel (the white girl) and I at last year's formal with her sweet floral headband from Lady Petrova! I also have lots of glue on my hands from my first attempts at using glue and glue alone to attach the flowers to the headband. Ahhhh, I know.

3 comments:

  1. SUCH A PRETTY HEADBAND ZAAAAAAAAB!!!
    ALSO DIGGIN' THE BLOG POST TITLE

    ReplyDelete
  2. shoulda been my damn url LOL I WILL NEVER GET OVER THIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO SO SO pretty, love it !!

    ReplyDelete