Saturday, October 9, 2010

SIX WEEKS UNTIL FORMAL

So, I think it is time that I start the formal count down. I'm sure other girls in my year level, aka Jill have already started their countdown perhaps two months ago (like when she bought that Dolly Formal Special issue and we all laughed at school and read through it reminiscing back on when we actually read Dolly and Girlfriend.)

I've been blogging some inspiration for formal dresses on my lolarevisited.tumblr but they're mostly all a gazillion dollar designer dresses that I could never afford and can only dream about, so I'll leave them on my blog.

What I want for formal. Cute boyf and 1920’s dress, stockings and curls. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
This was my initialy inspiration and joy for formal, scanned from Jill's issue of frankie. When I saw it I just knew that this was the style and glamour that I wanted for formal. However, looking up the dress online and finding (pictured below) I kind of fell out of love with the dress. The detail of the matching slip and the layers aren't as defined as in the photoshoot and to be honest I don't think I would pay that much for a dress that I could probably make:

Angel Dress

However, I am still completely in love with tights and I really want to get my hands on a pair. But anyway, this is all inspiration.

This past week amidst all the exam study and revision I've checked out perhaps 20, yes truly 20, dress sites in search for formal dresses (seeing as I hardly have time to leave the house to go shopping) and i have bookmarked a couple of things. Originally I wanted a long maxi dress but so far I haven't come across any that I love. It will also be hard to find one that can be my own since how many stores do you know that sell really nice maxis? Exactly, the chances are highly likely that someone could rock up in the same dress as me. However, I am still hopeful and open to finding a really nice floor length or maxi dress to wear.

Last week I found this dress and it remains as my formal dress crush. Meet my dream dress. Just read the description, I am so in love.

Earth Angel Dress

I'm just a fool, a fool in love with this dress. With its delightfully retro silhouette, three ruffled tiers of flounce, and shimmering, chiffon-esque contrast over the silky, seafoam green fabric, the vision of its love, loveliness, inspires me to put it on and step back through time to a 1950's high school formal. I'd get a pair of cat-eye glasses, put my hair in a high ponytail, and find some really keen fellow to slow dance with to that classic tune by The Penguins. This is what any bobbysoxer would wear on that special night when a girlish crush turned to true love. Back in my time machine again, and I'm in '62, doing my best Betty Draper at a chic Manhattan cocktail party, wearing long white gloves, classy pumps, and a faux-fur stole, and this dress is still fabulous. One more time and I'm at a wedding in '79, rocking out to Cream on the dancefloor. My hair is super straight, and I've paired this dress with funky statement jewelry and rows of bangles. Before I can catch the bouquet I'm back here in the 21st century right where I was before, coffee mug in hand, dreaming of the perfect formal or semi-formal excuse to pull this dress out of my wardrobe. -Emily, Fashion Writer

It sounds like she's in love too. This dress is everything that a highschool formal should be. Let's face it I have grown up watching countless american teen movies and it would pretty much just complete my high school life if I wore a darling High School Prom inspired formal dress. Look at how reminiscent it is of cheesy and tacky prom dresses of the 50's and possibly even the 80's yet it is so elegantly and beautifuly draped that it works. This dress is like heaven to me, I cannot picture going to formal in anything else. Alalala I could talk about this dress for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment